What is Bridgnorth Known For?
Situated in Shropshire, Bridgnorth is a town split into two by the River Severn, with the High Town on the right back and the Low Town on the left bank. The town is actually named after a bridge on this river. Located in the Severn Valley, the river passes through a narrow valley with largely-wooded slopes, with High Town built on a promontory and Low Town situated on lower-lying ground on the banks of the river. The West Midlands Green Belt covers the countryside to the east of the Severn.
The earliest historical reference to the town is thought to be in the year 895. Previous names for Bridgenorth include Brigge, Brug, and Bruges, which all refer to its position on the Severn. Bridgenorth’s town walls were initially constructed in timber between 1216 and 1223, before murage grants meant these could be upgraded to stone between the 13th and 15th centuries.
Bridgnorth is home to the Castle Hill Railway, a funicular railway that links the High and Low towns, which is the steepest and only inland railway of its kind in England. The ruins of Bridgnorth Castle also reside in the town, thought to be constructed during 1101, as well as two prominent Church of England churches.
A Grade 1 listed building, Bishop Percy’s House on the Cartway was built during 1580 by Richard Foster, and was one of the few of its kind to survive the great fire of Bridgnorth during 1646. Other notable landmarks include the 17th century Bridgnorth Town Hall, a half-timbered building, and the famous watermill Daniel’s Mill, which sits a short distance along the river.